Saturday, October 24, 2009

Half The Man

I couldn't find a good enough quote/picture combo so I ended up just making my own. Pretty cool huh? Anyway...I just got home about 10 minutes ago from a memorial service. (I just paused for five minutes because the service is THAT difficult to put into words) I didn't know this man personally, but after I heard what was said about him, I wish I did. I am pretty sure that I have never heard of such a selfless, determined, gracious man in my entire life.

He died doing the thing he loved the most: laying down his life for Christ and others. He had just laid the cornerstone for a village school in Ghana, when his heart gave out. He died with his head in his wife's arms. His was a life well-spent. A truly extraordinary life.

I hope he knows how many lives he is still effecting even though he has passed, including mine. And i didn't even meet him! Crazy I know! It was cool too because some of his friends from Africa came and spoke too. They told the most amazing stories and I think after hearing them speak it is undeniable that God exists. I wish everyone could have heard it.

Do you guys know how in almost every movie, book, speech, whatever, there is always that ONE line that just sticks in head like white on rice? Well the line at this service was "He was the man that you needed him to be". May sound simple...that's because it is. This quote has now become my goal: to be the person that people need me to be at any given time or place. If I can become half the person that Lamon was, I think I will be doing alright.

Oh and one last thing! My dad and I came to the conclusion that God cried happy tears tonight for Lamon and that is why the Angel game got rained out. Plus we think that God was doing us all a favor because there were so many baseball fans in that memorial service that none of them would have been home for the game anyway. So if any of you were wondering why we couldn't enjoy our playoff game...that is why. God was doing us a favor. haha :D

1 comment:

Katalina said...

oh Kendal.....thanks for sharing!!!;)