Sunday, November 14, 2010

Azusa Pacific University

A drop in the ocean, a change in the weather. I was praying that you on me might end up together. It's like wishing for rain as I stand in the desert, but I'm holding you closer than most because you are my heaven ~Ron Pope

Please excuse this exceptional long blog post that is about to follow. You don't even have to read it, but I really just need to talk about how incredibly beautiful in every way APU is. First of all, here is what I did this weekend. It was called "APU All Access Preview." This means that I spent two nights in the dorms and just "previewed" the school along with hundreds of other HS Juniors and Seniors. So my level of excitement was off the charts, but going into this I wasn't expecting that much. I have my top 3 colleges that I wanna go to and before the trip Azusa was number 3........(it's now number one)

Here is what's beautiful:

THE PEOPLE: So, I walk into Addams (my dorm) and say goodbye to my parents. And literally when I was walking through the halls all the girls were attacking me with hugs and so genuinely happy to see a "preview" Then I met my ambassador, Drew (the person whose dorm i'm staying in) and I literally have never met anyone who is nicer in my life. She was a complete stranger, but treated me like I had been her friend for years. All the personalities on that floor were just so overwhelmingly beautiful. I felt so blessed to be there with them. And even BEYOND that dorm, people were just constantly coming up to me and introducing themselves, saying hello, answering any questions, and just making me feel completely comfortable on campus. The community is so amazing, I didn't even know something so perfect could ever exist.

THE CAMPUS: oh my heavens....I could go ON AND ON about it. There are two different campus', East & West, that are separated by a trolley ride or half a mile walk. So East is where all the dorms, classes (minus science), food, etc is. There are trees EVERYWHERE and grass to lay down in and so many simply beautiful places to just spend some time alone. My favorite so far was "The Gap" which is like a narrow entrance into an area that is in between all the administrative buildings. And I felt like I kinda walked into the secret garden because there are flowers growing everywhere and vines crawling up wooden benches. Drew said it was where people go for dates and what not and I can see why because there really is something ENCHANTING about it.

THE 'GOD FIRST' MOTTO: I didn't really think that schools actually followed through with their motto, but APU really does. When I left, I wrote Drew a note and said that I could see God in everything that she did. It was so true, but for everyone else as well. I remember walking around and hearing side conversations where a girl would be consoling her friend with good news of God's unfailing love for her. And you can just tell and feel and see that all the people are just SOOOO genuine here. It's beautiful.

THE RANDOMS: There are so many other BEAUTIFUL moments. Here they are: listening to A Drop In The Ocean with the Addams girls, the sunsets at West, talking about boys with Hannah Thompson under perfect sunshine, singing praises during Chapel, fantastic tasting food at the den and the caf, late night walks to the cookie mill, buying my first college sweatshirt, the BLACKOUT rally, hearing air1 on the trolley rides, listening to professors incorporate God into their lessons, watching the Soloist in a psychology class, the Starbucks right across the way, facebook stalking someone who doesn't exist, and just finding a place where I belong. I have never cried tears of joy until that all access pass. I know there is still so much to take into consideration when choosing my college, but I just would feel so blessed to attend APU. I know that I can be what I'm suppose to be there. Next step: apply for a million scholarships....just so I can feel how I felt that weekend.

No comments: